Forklifts are important to many company activities and are a valuable piece of heavy load lifting machinery. For several business owners, the expense of acquiring a new fork lift will make it unattainable and saved capital can be applied elsewhere in their business. We specialise in new and used forklifts and supply a range of material handling equipment at Toyota Industrial Equipment, all available to hire or purchase.
If you choose to buy or rent a used forklift, there are a few factors that you need to consider. These include:
1. Consider why you need it
Establish where you are going to use the fork lift and for what purpose. Are you going to be lifting heavy equipment a few days a week or will you only need the forklift one day per week? Also, consider if you need to use the forklift indoors or outdoors. Fuel costs play a large role in determining which forklift is right for you, as you may prefer hiring an electric forklift.
2. Inspection and maintenance
Once you have identified a suitable used fork lift, you need to consider factors such as age, service hours and the condition of the forklift before committing to buying or hire it.
Pay close attention to the following factors when purchasing or hiring a used forklift:
- Inspect the front-end equipment. This includes checking the rollers, the function of the mast carriage and the connecting welds.
- Examine the engine and transmission. You need to ensure that the engine is working correctly and that all the components work well; otherwise, you will have to pay for repairs sooner than expected.
- Inspect the lift chains. Ensure that the chains do not have any signs of rust or wear and weakening and ensure they are properly lubricated.
- Safety elements. Ensure that the seatbelt, the lights and the horns are working correctly.
3. Test it and look at the used forklift maintenance history
Before committing to the hire or purchase of a used forklift, you need to test it. This should include a test-drive and use of the lift to ensure it meets the requirements for the job you need it to do.
Ask questions about the used forklift, such as:
- how old it is;
- the usage hours; and
- the application history
Look at the maintenance history (if the forklift leaked fluids or if the engine had problems starting these could be indicators of poor maintenance). Remember that previous working conditions affect the wear and tear of the forklift.
4. What fork lift warranty is offered?
All refurbished pre-owned forklifts are offered with a warranty. A standard warranty would be 6 – 12 months or 500 – 1000 hours depending on the model and age of the forklift.